PALAIS DE L'EUROPE (in front of the hemicycle), Strasbourg
Wednesday, 10 October 2018 (1-2pm)
Join the European Network on Statelessness for a lunchtime presentation of its Statelessness INDEX - the first and only online comparative tool that assesses how countries in Europe protect stateless people and what they are doing to prevent and reduce statelessness. The event will also discuss recent and planned future activity by the Council of Europe on this important issue.
- Doris Fiala, Member of Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe & Chairperson of the Committee on Migration, Refugees and Displaced Persons
- Carol Batchelor, UN High Commissioner for Refugees’ Special Adviser on Statelessness
- Christos Giakoumopoulos, Director General, Directorate General Human Rights and Rule of Law
- Chris Nash, Director of the European Network on Statelessness
- Ksenija Turković, Judge of the European Court of Human Rights
This series of short presentations will be followed by brief interventions from PACE members and an opportunity to network over refreshments. The event will be accompanied by an exhibition of photographs by award-winning photographer Greg Constantine.
ABOUT THE EVENT
This event, hosted by Doris Fiala, Member of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (PACE) will bring together key stakeholders and provide a forum to discuss the Statelessness Index as well as recent action taken and/or planned by the Council of Europe, including for example anticipated steps on improving the identification of statelessness to be taken by the European Committee on Legal Co-operation (CDCJ) of the Council of Europe as part of follow-up on the action on ensuring every child’s right to a nationality in the Secretary General’s Action Plan on Refugee and Migrant Children. The event will also reflect on the recent landmark judgement by the European Court of Rights in the Hoti case.
Please RSVP by emailing ENS Head of Communications Jan Brulc at email@example.com by 3 October. Participants requiring a security badge will need to RSVP by this date in order to receive one.
ENS is grateful to the UN Refugee Agency, Oak Foundation and the Sigrid Rausing Trust for their support of this event and the ENS Statelessness Index.